Thursday, July 16, 2009

You're not my mother, Rod

I have a fat head. Yes, you heard me right, I have a fat head. I realized this a few minutes ago when I took my glasses off at my desk to tweeze my eyebrows (shh don't tell) and realized that the nose pads have pushed little indents into my face.

I just got these glasses in April and already my head is too fat for them.

HOWEVER - last night I went for a walk/run. I left my house at 7 with my water bottle, keys, and iPod. I walked probably about 1/8 of a mile before I decided I would at least TRY the Couch to 5k podcasts I had on my iPod. For those of you not familiar with Couch to 5k it's supposed to take you from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k (3.1) miles in 12 weeks. The first day of the first week you walk briskly for 5 minutes, then do eight sets of run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds. I made it through 3 sets of 60 second runs before I felt like my heart was going to come shooting out of my chest like something out of Aliens. So I slowed my pace and headed back for home. I went down a side street and chatted with a former co-worker for about 20 minutes, then left, with every intention of going home. When lo and behold I spotted walkers in front of me. And I said to myself "You know self, walking another lap isn't going to kill you." And I said "Self, you're right. Since I stopped running I feel less like death by explosion is imminent, so I'll walk a little farther." So I did. All in all I'd say I walked for about 50 minutes - well technically I guess 47 minutes and then I ran for 3 minutes. I also realized that I'm DEFINITELY going to need better shoes before I run, possibly even before I start seriously walking. My ankles were killing me and there's also a place on the side of one of my shoes that's busted out. Oops.

I also realized that showtunes with upbeat melodies make great music for me to walk to. Something about hearing showtunes make me immediately relax and hold myself in better posture. All my theatre training? Possibly. Also, singing along (in my head) is a great way to make the time pass.

As far as eating, I've been doing regretfully. Over eating, eating the wrong things, skipping meals, replacing meals with unhealthy snacks. You name it, I've been doing it. I could make a million excuses, but the fact is - it's bad to do, I know it's bad to do, and I'm doing it anyway. Now if only I could get my Mom to ground me for it, I'd be in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment