Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Goals

So, I've talked a little bit about my weight, and what I'm doing, so I figure it's about time for one about my goals!

I mentioned in the first post that according to BMI 145 is the most I can weigh and have a "healthy" BMI. Well, BMI is kinda crap. I'm the first to admit it. But, I have weighed 145 before and it was a good weight for me - I felt incredible at 145 so I'd really like to get that back. From there I guess I'll see if I feel like I need to lose anymore, but I'm really not sure.

And of course, there are short term goals and long term goals.

Obviously my longest of the long term goals is to get to and maintain a healthy weight. Now I've assigned 145 arbitrarily - simply because I've been there before and it's classified as healthy by BMI. Could I ultimately end up weighing more than this? Sure. Could I also end up getting to this number and wanting to lose another 5 pounds? Absolutely. Ultimately, I just want to be healthy and for me, part of that is getting rid of this extra weight.

My shortest of the short term goals is a little embarassing. I'm afraid that I've gained so much weight in 4 years (about 25 lbs.) that my wedding/engagement ring no longer fit! I'm wearing a fake set right now, simply because I can get it on. Hopefully it won't take TOO much weight lost before my rings start to fit again!

My next short term goal is the one thing that they tell you to AVOID like the plague whenever you're trying to lose weight - a special event. My dear friend and college roommate Kat is getting married towards the end of August and I'd like to slim down a little for her wedding. It's about 10 weeks away and I'd absolutely love it if I could weigh 160 by then. That's a little over a pound a week to lose, which for someone with a normal metabolism would be easy peasy lemon squeezy, but for me is going to be VERY difficult.

It's going to require A LOT of discipline, which I honestly think I have been showing - even though I'm only on my fourth day. I've resisted pizza right in front of my face. I also resisted hot dogs at lunch today and the urge to lazy out and just make a PB&J. Instead I had a salad of field greens, spinach and arugula with some chopped ham and ginger mango salad dressing and a "ham roll up" - a thick slice of ham with mustard and a dill pickle and for my low-glycemic starch, some grapes.

Most of all, since I'm in my final week of rehearsals for Steel Magnolias, I've been doing dinner on the run every night. I've been getting salads from Sheetz, which means I have resisted burgers, fries, pretzels, macaroni and cheese, and most of all, the huge doughnut display. I have, however, had a mocha iced coffee drink from 7-11 two days running as my "treat food". But I'm realizing now that the sugar and caffeine just make me feel like crud, so that's gotta stop.

I know myself, I know my negative attitudes and my food behaviors. If I would have had a PB&J for lunch today I would have ended up saying "Well, I've already messed up today, might as well have something bad for dinner," which would have led to me saying tomorrow "Well, I messed up so bad yesterday, may as well have doughnuts for breakfast!" And that slippery slope would just continue. I'm not saying that I'm never going to have doughnuts or PB&J or any "bad" food ever again - I just know that I've got to myself firmly into this way of eating before I allow myself a treat or it will backfire and blow up on me.

But the best part is - even though I'm eating basically the same food everyday, I'm not bored with it. Mostly because it TASTES SO GOOD. Like my breakfast this morning. A two egg omelette with spinach, arugula, portobella mushrooms, and a little bit of cheese, one small cucumber and a nice, big, COLD glass of milk. DELISH.

For now though, I'm off to finish fundraiser prep at work and maybe grab a little square of dark chocolate (low-glycemic with a glycemic index of just 23).

2 comments:

  1. That's a little over a pound a week to lose, which for someone with a normal metabolism would be easy peasy lemon squeezy.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Wooo-wee. Good one!

    Seriously though, losing weight is hard. I probably have normal metabolism but losing even a pound in a week and keeping it off is difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit - I should have been a little clearer - for someone with a normal metabolism that has as much weight to lose as I do - obviously you're having trouble losing because you're already a hottie skinny minnie! :P

    ReplyDelete